The Hill Dickinson in Association with Laracy & Co Lamma 500
2014 Lamma International Dragon Boat Festival
4th May 2014
The Lamma Dragons and Thirsty Horse are pleased to announce that they will again host the Hill Dickinson in Association with Laracy & Co., Lamma International Dragon Boat Festival
at Tai Wan To Beach, Lamma Island, on Sunday 4th May 2014, from 09:00 to 18:00 hrs.
The Lamma Dragons have been a vibrant part of the Hong Kong local and international Dragon Boat community for more than 25 years, and we would be
delighted if your club would like to participate in our Festival during this 2014 season.
For those of you who have attended our previous Lamma Festivals, thank you for your fantastic
support and we hope that you will also attend this year.
The details are as follows:
- The venue will be the Tai Wan To Beach, Yung Shue Wan – the home of the Lamma Dragons and the
Lamma Outrigger Canoe Club. Access to the boats is from the beach. For details of the race site, please
visit the Location page.
- Competitions include:
All categories require a minimum of four team entries to compete. All crews are guaranteed at least three races on race day.
- Men’s, Women’s and Mixed premier 500m races
- Men’s, Women’s and Mixed premier 1,000m races
- Junior Crew (aged 12-17) Mixed 10-person boat 250m races
- University and/or post-secondary education (PSE) teams
- The cost of entry is HK$ 3,500 for each crew entered. An early-bird fee entry fee of HK$3,250 is available to crews who register and pay by 10th March 2014; after 10th March all team entries will cost HK$3,500. Fees are waived for international (overseas) teams in recognition and appreciation of travel expenses. Junior Crews fees are HK$1,000 per crew.
- Registration will close on 20th April 2014. Crew entries are limited (the mixed division fills especially quickly) so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
- Confirmation of your entry can only be made upon the receipt of your entry fee.
- Helmsmen are available on request for a fee of HK$400 for the full day’s racing. Marquees are also available for a rental fee of HK$400 for the full day.
- All equipment, including paddles, will be provided. However, paddlers are welcome to use their own paddles
so long as they comply with IDBF specifications.
Please review Lamma 500 race rules for further details.
- Finally, for the past seven years, the Laracy & Co. Lamma 500 has proudly supported the Make-A-Wish Foundation
of Hong Kong. The foundation is a worthy local charity that grants wishes to HK children with life-threatening medical
conditions. Should you or your team be interested in donating to a charity this year, please download the donation form,
or visit the Make A Wish Foundation website
At this year’s race, the Lamma Dragon Boat Festival is providing:
- 500 metres of deepwater (fast) international paddling
- Race Programmes for participants (advertising space available)
- Minimum of three races per team
- Marquees available to all teams (HK$400 each for the day)
- Helmsmen available for hire (HK$400 each for the day)
- Food and Beverages (details to be announced later)
- Toilets, showers and changing rooms
- Computer-technology timing and scoring systems
- Cup and medal award ceremony
- Sunday evening beach party with music/entertainment
- Free mooring space for junks along race course
So book us into your calendar now!
Please download the Invitation, Registration Form, Payment Form and Declaration & Waiver of Liability Form:
For more information, please contact:
Gina Miller (Team Coordinator) at
or call (852) 9121-3648
Staged on Lamma Island’s Tai Wan To Beach, near Yung Shue Wan, the race best-known by its short handle, ‘The Lamma 500’
for its International-race standard 500-metre course length, is a celebration of Hong Kong’s Dragon Boat history. Staffed and supported
by the Lamma Island Fishermen’s Recreation and Sports Association, The Laracy & Co Lamma International Dragon Boat Festival blends the
history of Lamma’s sea-faring community with the present-day competition of local Hong Kong teams and international guest competitors.
The Lamma 500 is one of the most challenging and competitive races on the Hong Kong dragon boat calendar. It offers a deep, fast-water course,
set against the incredible backdrop of one of the territory’s highest peaks, Mount Stenhouse, and the dramatic industrial landscape of the
Hong Kong Electric Company.
In 2009, The Lamma 500 initiated its 1,000-metre experimental fun race. Initially, teams were nervous of ‘blowing up’ on the course,
since dragon boaters usually train for a maximum 500-metre event. The 1,000-metre course offers a staggered start between boats that race to overtake
one another around a single-lane.
Despite some nail-biting by team captains, most teams participated in the 1,000-metre race and it has subsequently become one of the best-loved
races of the day, now offering first-place trophies for Men’s, Women’s, and Mixed team champions.
Response from participants of the 2012 Lamma 500 continued to show the event’s on-going popularity.
“On behalf of Team DNA, Dragons of North America, we would like to thank Brad and Gina and the rest of the Lamma Dragons for putting on such an amazing race!
The level of competition and the organization of the race was top notch!!! We really didn’t know what to expect, especially after the wonderful week we spent in Boracay, but
many of my paddlers came up to me after the event and told me that if they had to choose one race, they would choose Lamma Island over Boracay! I’m not sure if it was the
race venue, the organizers, the competition, or the fact that we got a full dose of the Lamma Dragons, but you guys rocked!!! Maybe it was all the champagne we drank while dancing
on the beach! Thanks again and I hope we can do this again next year!!! Paddle As One!!!!”
Berman Ng (Team DNA, Dragons of North America)
“On behalf of SMUGz I’d like to thank you and the Lamma 500 team for another great day out. Your event continues to improve each year,
and is still the best-run race day that we attend. The trophies this year were fantastic – I just wish we’d won more of them.”
Tim Pottle (Southside Massive Urban Gorillaz)
“Everyone loved the shirts and what’s more, the team loved the day yesterday!!! Though we got thrashed, we all had an amazing time out
with gorgeous weather, great tent location, and fun music!! Thanks for organising yet another successful Lamma 500!”
Heather (Canadian International School of Hong Kong – Flying Canucks)
The Make A Wish Foundation children’s charity is the Official Charity of The Lamma 500 and will be organizing activities during the event to
raise funds for their activities.
The Lamma 500 offers food and refreshment stands, showers and changing facilities for competitors, and plentiful clean, dry toilet facilities from
Toi Toi for competitors and spectators. Entry for spectators is free.
“I say, hasn’t Ascot become so passé, my dear?
The Lamma 500 is
definitely the event to be seen at these days.”
For more information, please contact:
Brad Tarr at
or call (+852) 9824-4577
Gina Miller (Team Coordinator) at
or call (+852) 9121-3648